Support for clients with disabilities
Our commitment to equity
We will do whatever we can to assist you in having equitable access to resources and services available through the Library. We encourage you to contact our staff (below, on this page) if you need assistance or advice.
Start with UQ Student Services
UQ Student Services coordinates support for students with disabilities at the university.
Contact a Disability Adviser at Student Services to discuss your situation and activate UQ and Library support services.
Access to Library resources
Online resources accessibility
We purchase and subscribe to online resources such as databases and eBooks in preference to print materials. While these materials are generally convenient to access - we are aware that some of these products are not accessible to everyone.
Contact your Librarian for assistance on difficult-to-use resources.
Scanning and accessible formats for clients with a print disability
We provide resources in accessible formats for your research or study.
- Students must be registered with Students Services
- Submit your requests as far ahead as possible, scanning can take 5 – 10 working days
Print item scanning
We scan print items, such as books and articles, into an accessible format where there is no suitable electronic version.
We can provide eBooks from the HathiTrust Digital Library, offering a collection of millions of digitised titles.
Borrowing, book retrieval, photocopying, and printing
UQ Student Services may provide a participation assistant to help with borrowing Library materials. If you do not have a participation assistant, speak to staff in your Library for help retrieving items from the shelf or for photocopying or printing assistance.
We appreciate these requests in advance as staff time is limited.
The Library website aims to conform to the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 to Level AA. You can help us fix any accessibility problems on our site by reporting them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See our web browser compatibility statement for more information.
- are wheelchair accessible
- include lifts
- include height adjustable desks
View floor plans for accessible features of our Library locations.
Assistive technology rooms
Assistive technology rooms contain special software and equipment and are available to students authorised by their Disability Adviser.
- Located on Level 1, Social Sciences and Humanities Library (Building #12)
- Book an assistive technology room
- Review assistive room facilities
Some of our locations are open 24-hours/7-days during semester study periods. The spaces are monitored by UQ security but are unstaffed during out-of-hours periods:
- make sure you have your UQ Student ID card with you
- always protect your belongings and take them with you
- add UQ security as a phone contact. Contact UQ security if you require assistance
Safety during an evacuation
- your Disability Advisor from Student Services can organise an evacuation walk-through of your 24-hour location
- 24-hour facilities have refuge areas inside Fire stairwells with emergency red phones that connect directly to UQ security
- make yourself known to a UQ security guard or Library staff if you need help during an evacuation
We value your feedback on our locations and facilities.
Participate in client experience sessions
We regularly seek feedback about the accessibility of our web services. Sign up to participate in a client feedback session if you would like to be involved.
Contact our staff for a consultation or for questions on finding and accessing Library resources.