To coincide with the University's centenary celebrations in 2010, the Library launched The University Library : a centenary history 1910-2010, written by librarian Mr John East. A limited history of each of our locations is also provided here.
Architecture and Music Library
The Architecture and Music Library provides resources and services to support teaching and research in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (incorporating the former Faculty of Arts), Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Information Technology (formerly Engineering, Physical Sciences and Engineering, and the Faculty of Business, Economics and Law. The library is located in the Zelman Cowen Building, named after Sir Zelman Cowen, Vice-Chancellor of the University from 1970 to 1977. It was refurbished in 2008 to take advantage of the opportunities provided by new technology and to expand the space for postgraduate students and improve access for clients with a disability.
Biological Sciences Library
The Biological Sciences Library was formed from an amalgamation of several smaller departmental library collections, including biological, health and veterinary sciences. The building was designed by architect Robin Gibson in the late 1970s and has been refurbished in several stages since that time. A major refurbishment designed by Wilson Architects was completed at the end of 2006. In 2011 the print collections were integrated into the Dorothy Hill Engineering and Sciences Library, to facilitate the expansion of learning spaces in the Biological Sciences Library and the provision of 24/7 access.
The Dentistry Library began in 1936 with a collection of books housed in a room adjacent to the Dean's office, and under his supervision. In 1944 the collection was moved into a small room on the top floor of the Dental Hospital and the first Librarian, Margaret Waugh, was employed. Fifty years later a section of the students' common room on Level 1 of the Clinical Building was converted into a purpose-built facility for the Library and this is where it remained until 2014. The Dentistry Library has always enjoyed the support of the Dentistry Alumni and the Australian Dental Association, Queensland Branch. The first computer workstations were purchased with the assistance of the Dentistry Alumni and the ADA (Q) continues to contribute to the development of the collection. In 2014, the School of Dentistry moved from Turbot Street to the new Oral Health Centre at the Herston Campus and the Dentistry Library was incorporated into the Herston Health Sciences Library.
Dorothy Hill Engineering and Sciences Library
The Engineering and Sciences Library was formed in 1990. It incorporates the C. S. Davis Mathematics Library and the Thomas Parnell Memorial Physics Library. In 1997 the library was refurbished and merged with the Geology Library collection. Architect Hamilton Wilson guided the transformation, with assistance from the University's Property and Facilities section. The library was named the Dorothy Hill Physical Sciences and Engineering Library, after the late Professor Dorothy Hill, and opened officially on 21 August 1998. In 2011, the name was changed to the Dorothy Hill Engineering and Sciences Library, when the collections were merged with those of the Biological Sciences Library.
Fryer Library (The Fryer Memorial Library of Australian Literature)
The Fryer Library was established in 1927 to assist the study of Australian literature. It continues to support scholarship and research through its extensive holdings of publications and manuscripts of some of Australia's leading writers. It also contains the UQ Library’s special collections, including rare books. The Fryer Library is located in the Duhig Building, named after Catholic archbishop Sir James Duhig, an early advocate and benefactor of the University.
UQ Gatton Library (JK Murray Library)
The history of UQ Gatton dates back to 1897, when the Queensland Agricultural College (QAC) opened as a combined agricultural college and experimental farm. In 1897 a library consisting of around 600 volumes was established in the Administration Building. From 1942-1944, the US Army occupied the campus for an Army Field Hospital. In 1950, a library was made out of a converted ex-Army wooden hut and was situated behind what is now known as Morrison Hall. The JK Murray Library was commissioned in 1973 as a purpose built library building. The college amalgamated with The University of Queensland in 1990. The Library was upgraded in 1999 with the establishment of the Centenary Learning Centre, which provided improved computer facilities and expanded study space with a variety of seating. In 2009, the library was extended into an area occupied by the audiovisual department to provide a training room and two group study rooms to accommodate the move of the School of Veterinary Science from the UQ St Lucia Campus to the UQ Gatton Campus in 2010.
Graduate Economics and Business Library
The Graduate Economics and Business Library is located in the Colin Clark Building, which was opened in 1996. The Library was refurbished under the direction of architect Hamilton Wilson in 2000. Founding head of the Department of Management (1972 to 1980), Dr Hollis Peter, donated the sculpture entitled Daintree Memory, made of white oak from Cape Tribulation in Far North Queensland. In 2010 the print collections were integrated into the Social Sciences and Humanities Library to allow for the expansion of space for research higher degree students and computing facilities. An extensive refurbishment followed and the Graduate Economics and Business Library eZone/School of Economics Experimental Laboratory and the Graduate Economics and Business Library Study Space were opened in 2011.
Herston Health Sciences Library
The Herston Health Sciences Library provides resources and services to support the teaching, learning and research needs of staff and students, in addition to hospital staff located on the Herston site. The University, Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, and Royal Children’s Hospital jointly fund the library. The Herston Health Sciences Library (previously known as Herston Medical Library) was established in 1984 when the University's Central Medical and Clinical Sciences libraries amalgamated. Some years later the library began services to the Royal Children's Hospital, and then in 1993 combined with the Nursing Library to provide the services and facilities now available. In 2014, the School of Dentistry moved from Turbot Street to the new Oral Health Centre at the Herston Campus and the Dentistry Library was incorporated into the Herston Health Sciences Library.
UQ/Mater McAuley Library
The UQ/Mater McAuley Library was established in 1998 when the Mater Medical Library and the Mater Nursing Library were amalgamated. The library supports the clinical teaching and research of the Faculty of Health Sciences and the staff of the Mater Hospitals and associated research institutes. The University and Mater Health Services jointly fund the library.
PACE Health Sciences Library
The PACE Health Sciences Library, located in the Pharmacy Centre of Excellence (PACE) precinct on the Princess Alexandra Hospital campus, is the newest of the UQ libraries. Designed by Design Nest architects, this world-class library provides learning spaces and consultation zones, which are flexible, comfortable and conducive to collaborative and active learning. The library opened in 2010. It provides resources and services to support the teaching, learning and research needs of staff and students of the Faculty of Health Sciences and the UQ Diamantina Institute.
PA Hospital Library
The Joint Princess Alexandra Hospital/UQ Library provided resources and services to support the clinical teaching, learning and research needs of staff and students in the Faculty of Health Sciences, the UQ Diamantina Institute and the staff of the PA Hospital. The University and the hospital jointly funded the library. The library was established in 1969 as a medical library and amalgamated with the Nursing Library in 1999. On 6 July 2015 management of the Princess Alexandra Hospital Library transferred from The University of Queensland to the Princess Alexandra Hospital.
Rural Clinical School Library Service
Rural Clinical School (RCS) Library services are provided to MBBS students studying at an Rural Clinical School teaching site, other UQ students on placement in Rural Clinical School regions, and Rural Clinical School staff including academic titleholders such as teaching hospital clinicians and rural preceptors. Library services are available at the Rural Clinical School's key teaching locations (Bundaberg, Hervey Bay, Rockhampton, and Toowoomba).
Social Sciences and Humanities Library
The Social Sciences and Humanities Library provides resources and services to support the teaching, learning and research needs of staff and students in the Faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences and Business, Economics and Law. The library is located in the Duhig Building, named after Catholic archbishop Sir James Duhig, an early advocate and benefactor of the University. The refurbishment of the building in 1998 marked a departure from the image of the Library, primarily as a keeper of the books and a place for storing materials, seating readers, accommodating staff and servicing people from desks and an edifice complex, difficult to use and lacking in functionality. The design brief for the refurbishment focused on making facilities easier to use and attractive, and providing a window on the world of knowledge designed around client access and use of real and virtual information resources. The refurbishment of the building won a Highly Commended Award in the 1999 Royal Australian Institute of Architects Association awards. A major architectural achievement, the Library Building seamlessly combines two formerly separate buildings into one by means of a "link" construction. The $10 million refurbishment was designed by Hamilton Wilson of Wilson Architects and constructed by Barclay Mowlem. The Honourable Peter Beattie MLA, then Queensland Premier, opened the library officially, in October 1998. In Summer Semester 2009, Level 1 of the library was refurbished to create more student learning spaces and group work areas. The new area, named The Hive, was opened in early 2010.
UQ Ipswich Library (now the USQ Ipswich Library)
The UQ Ipswich campus originally housed the Sandy Gallop Asylum, which opened in 1878. By 1968, the hospital, known as the Challinor Centre, was a diverse facility accommodating 600 people. When the State Government advised in 1998 that the Challinor Centre would close, The University of Queensland announced plans to develop a campus on the site. The Library was housed in one of the existing buildings until the new Building 8, designed by Hamilton Wilson of Wilson Architects, opened in 2003. The Library, Ask I.T., Student Centre, Student Support Services, Cafe 8, Student Union, Health Services, the Office of the Executive Officer, Ipswich, and the Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor are located in a setting which includes a garden, spaces for multiple learning styles and access to information technologies. The building has won many awards, including the 2003 ALIA Excellence Award for Building Design and Service Delivery, and the 2004 Australian Timber Design Award.
On 7 January 2015, the Ipswich Campus was transferred to the University of Southern Queensland (USQ), following a period of discussions between UQ and USQ about the future of the campus. UQ will continue to have access to the Campus during a two-year teach-out period in 2015 and 2016 to enable most students currently enrolled in Ipswich-based programs to complete their study with UQ at the Ipswich Campus. All UQ students involved in the teach-out period will have access to the USQ Ipswich Library.
Law Library (Walter Harrison Library)
The Walter Harrison Law Library is named after Walter Norwood Leslie Harrison, the Garrick Professor of Law and Dean of the School of Law between 1948 and 1964. The collection consists predominately of material from common law jurisdictions with an emphasis on Australian, in particular Queensland, and British resources. The library is located in the Forgan Smith Building, adjacent to the T.C. Beirne School of Law. The library space was expanded and the interior restored in 1989 with an award winning design by architect Robert Riddel. In 1999/2000 the library was refurbished with the assistance of Wilson Architects to embrace electronic advances in information delivery and new approaches to teaching and learning. The Law Library holds the University's main collection of Statutes and Law reports for Australia, the United Kingdom and selected other jurisdictions. The collection supports teaching and research in the Faculty of Business Economics and Law. In 2011 work began within the library to create the Student Learning Centre, which opened in 2012 as a 24/7 space. In December 2015 the library was temporarily closed for refurbishment, as part of the refurbishment of the West Wing of the Forgan Smith Building.