How to access Department of Social Services and Australian Bureau of Statistics datasets as a UQ Researcher.

Department of Social Services (DSS) datasets

Visit the National Centre for Longitudinal Data Dataverse to submit an online data request for:

  • Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA)
  • Longitudinal Study of Australian Children (LSAC)
  • Longitudinal Study of Indigenous Children (LSIC)
  • Building a New Life in Australia (BNLA)

Once access is granted you can download the dataset to your secure computing environment. Visit the National Centre for Longitudinal Data website for more information about the datasets.

From September 2018, access to these datasets is managed by the DSS. All access via the Library has ceased. 

Top of page

Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) datasets

ABS microdata is available with varying levels of detail, including:

  • TableBuilder
  • Basic confidentialised unit record files (CURFs)
  • Expanded CURFs in the Remote Access Data Lab (RADL)
  • Detailed microdata and expanded CURFs in DataLab

Apply for access

Before you apply

Review the level of detail you require:

  • TableBuilder is usually sufficient for undergraduate students. CURFs may be too detailed.
  • The DataLab (for Detailed microdata and expanded CURFs) is a system of last resort. It is unlikely you require this option. 

Contact the Data Manager if you need assistance.

Apply for access using the ABS website. Register using your UQ email address.

For students: both you and your supervisor must apply for access to the same data.

Access microdata

Log in with your ABS account to access or download the data. 

Relinquish access

You must relinquish access to the data when it is no longer required, or if you are leaving the University.

Contact the Data Manager to notify us if your circumstances change, or to return a CD if you've been issued one in the past.


Microdata frequently asked questions.

Lars Eriksson

Primary contact officer

+ 61 7 3346 4630

Top of page