Discussion boards allows you to post items for discussion and reply to the posts of others. You may be required to participate in assessable course discussions.
Discussion boards are organised in Forums, Threads and Messages.
Tips for writing messages
- Do not use any form of electronic communication, including email or discussion boards etc, to attack members of staff or fellow students:
- Use of the University network is subject to our the UQ Acceptable use of I.T. resources policy
- You may not be able to delete the messages
- Make the subject heading specific to the content so that readers can establish if the content is relevant to them. Subjects like "Hi" and "Help me!" are generic and can be frustrating
- Message content should be relevant to the subject of the discussion board and thread of conversation. People will appreciate you staying on point
- The Learn.UQ text editor contains tools to help you format your content. Make sure your text is easy to read and well formatted
Forums organise course discussion by defining appropriate threads of discussion.
For example: your instructor might create two forums:
- Discuss the weekly reading
- General course questions and answers
Forums contain questions or statements called "Threads".
Threads of conversation are usually about one thing as defined by the creator of the thread. Users can reply to the original post or to replies by other members of the course.
An example thread inside the "Weekly readings" forum could be:
- Reading week 1
- Reading week 2
Messages are poste in threads:
- in response to the threat
- in response to another users message in the thread
Your instructor can configure group discussion boards such that only group members and instructors can access the content.
Click the Group Discussion Board link in the My Groups section of the Blackboard menu.
- Require students to create a thread before they can see responses by other students
- Your instructor may use this feature to ensure that responses to the question under discussion are your own ideas, analysis and reflections before being influenced by the work of others
- Are often used when the forum or threads of discussion are being marked
Click Create Thread on a post first discussion board to create a post. Other users posts will be visible once your post is published.