As a UQ Researcher (academic staff, postgraduate student etc) you can apply for access to Department of Social Services datasets for research purposes via the Library.

Department of Social Services (DSS) datasets

Security and confidentiality rules apply. You are required to sign a deed of confidentiality to access:

  • Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA)
  • Longitudinal Study of Australian Children (LSAC)
  • Longitudinal Study of Indigenous Children (LSIC)
  • Building a New Life in Australia (BNLA)

Visit the National Centre for Longitudinal Data website for more information about the datasets.

Apply for access

Familiarise yourself with the dataset fact sheets before you apply.

  1. Download the deed of confidentiality (PDF, 130 KB)
  2. Fill out sections related to the datasets you are applying for only.
  3. Email the completed but unsigned deed to We will check the form has been completed correctly.
  4. We will contact you to arrange an appointment to witness your signature and verify you are an eligible UQ student or member of staff. Appointments are held on Level 6 of the Duhig Tower (Building #2). Please bring your UQ ID card.

Once signed by UQ's Data Manager (The University Librarian), we will send the completed application to the Department. If further information is required we will be in contact.

  • We provide the data via a secure server.
  • You will receive your access details by email once your application is approved.

Applications can take up to 10 working days.

Who must apply

  • Everyone listed on a project must have access to the same version of the dataset.
  • Students must ensure their supervisor has access to the same version of the dataset.

Access to new versions of datasets 

You must complete a new deed of confidentiality for each new version of a dataset. You do not automatically get access to new versions.

    Relinquish access or request an extension by your completion date

    We will contact you as your completion date (the date you nominated to relinquish access) approaches. We will request that you notify us whether you will:

    Request an extension 

    Email with:

    1. the name of the dataset
    2. the date you would like your access extended to (up to 3 years)

    Otherwise, you must relinquish access to any datasets at the end of the approved period or if you leave the university.


    Karen Platz

    Karen Platz

    Personal Assistant to the University Librarian

    + 61 7 336 56551