Setting up and backing up your EndNote Library
Create a new EndNote Library
- Click the File option on the menu bar
- Click New...
A dialogue box will open with My EndNote Library.enl as the name of the new library
- Select a library save location
- Type a name for your library in the File name box (eg. your own name)
- Click Save and you will see a new library window
Move or copy an EndNote Library
Your EndNote library consists of two elements:
- a file with the extension .enl (the library file)
- a folder with the extension.Data (containing various files connected with the library).
Keep these elements together if copying or moving your Library.
Back up your EndNote Library
Create a back-up
Click on the File option on the menu bar and select Compressed Library (.enlx) ...
This will create an archive copy of your library in a single file with the extension .enlx
Restore from a back-up
- Click on the File option in the menu bar
- Click Open and select the .enlx file
All elements of the library will be recreated - based on the version that was archived.
Sync your library to Endnote Online
EndNote offers cloud space to save an online copy of a library. This library can sync between three devices and the online version.
- Go to Edit
- Click on Preferences
- Choose Sync from the left column
- Follow the instructions for enabling sync which will including setting up a new account