Exporting from databases
References can be added to EndNote by exporting (or importing) references from databases:
- Direct Export - exporting directly from a database into EndNote
- Using a filter - saving the reference as a text file and importing into Endnote
Most databases provide direct export to EndNote. The database will format the references in one of several standard formats.
- Select the references you would like to export
- Choose Export, Download or a similar option
- Select Export format: Endnote or RIS if required
- Export All Available Information
- Click OK
- Select Open with EndNote or Open with ResearchSoft Direct Export Helper
- Check that the references have been imported into your library.
If the export goes to your downloads folder - open the files with Endnote to import them into your library.
Export settings for different databases
Check the database help page for information about how to save and download references.
- Databases providing direct export include Web of Science, Scopus, ScienceDirect, Proquest, PubMed and many others.
- Direct export is available from UQ Library Search.
Direct export from Google Scholar
Google Scholar can direct export individual citations.
- Choose Settings on the Google Scholar search screen.
- Select Show Link to Import citations into EndNote under the Bibliography Manager heading
- Click Save
Thereafter click Import into EndNote in your Google Scholar search results.
Always check for errors in the citation fields which have been exported into EndNote.
Using a filter
Some databases do not offer direct export and a filter is required.
After exporting a file from the database, in EndNote:
- Select File and then click Import
- Browse to the downloaded file
- Select the filter from the Import Options box
- Click Import
EndNote comes with many filters, and additional filters can be downloaded from the EndNote website.
Factiva to EndNote
The database Factiva requires a filter to import records into EndNote. To download records:
Export from Factiva
- Use Internet Explorer only for downloading from this database
- Change View As to Headline, Lead Paragraph and Indexing (from a drop down menu on right of screen)
- Select the references you want to download
- Then click on the Save button (disk icon). This will format the records for saving. Select Article Format
- When the formatted references are displayed, use your browser's "Save As" function to save the references as a Text File (*.txt)
- Download and open and save the UQ Factiva Filter in EndNote
Import into EndNote
- Click File > Import > File in EndNote to import the .txt file
- Use the UQ Factiva Filter.
- You will need to check for errors in the citation fields which have been exported into EndNote.