Self guided visits
Self guided Year 12 visits
Student preparation before you visit the Library:
- Download our subject guide (DOC, 297 KB) for your students to plan their research
- Work with students to determine keywords
- See the "Search Tips" for manipulating keywords - i.e. "phrase searching" and * (use the asterisk for truncation)
- Familiarise yourself with available library services for your visit
Search UQ Library Search for books
- In UQ Library Search
- Choose Physical items in drop down box
- Do keyword search
- Filter on left hand side by Content Type: Books
- Filter also by Library Location: e.g. Social Sciences and Humanities
- Write down Title and Call numbers on the Subject Guide
Many of our books are now in e-format and non-UQ students (guests) will not have access to these.
Once you are in the Library at UQ…
Finding the books
- Academic libraries use the Library of Congress call numbering system, not the Dewey decimal system. This means the call numbers start with a letter(s) and are followed by a number so record the call number carefully.
- UQ St Lucia campus has seven library branches – it is therefore important that students note the location of the books they are looking for. (They should have limited by Library Location: e.g. Social Sciences and Humanities)
Logging on to library computers
You will be required to log on as a guest.
- Other User will show on screen
- click the arrow on the left hand side to switch user
- click ‘Login for library users’ (right hand box with “Guests” in it)
- guests username and password are both libguest
Databases / eBooks / journal articles for library guests
There are some electronic resources accessible to everyone within the library.
- logon to a library computer as a "libguest" (both username and password)
- click on the link ‘for Community’ under Library services at the top of the page
- scroll down to: databases and eBooks that can be accessed from Library computers
As a Library guest you need to register a print/copy card to use the Library printing services.
- Cards are available in our libraries at the printers or at an AskUs service point
- Register your print/copy card so it will work with the printers
- Add print credit online with a credit card. New cards do not contain credit
- Write your name and contact number on the card so it can be returned if misplaced
- Guest printing information
Photocopying is no longer possible for school students. They can scan however:
- Borrow a photocopy / scan card from the AskUs desk on Level 1. You will need the card to be able to use a USB to scan.
- Students can then use a “Print / Scan / Copy” machine. Touch your card to the card reader, insert your USB on the right hand side and follow instructions to scan pages from books. It is free to do this.
- Return the photocopy/scan card to the AskUs desk after use.
- Scan to email or USB information
Using library spaces
- Set mobile phones to silent and keep valuables on you at all times.
- Food and drink policy