UQ history & archives

Collection overview

Our collection contains various material from groups and people associated with the university since its inception in 1909. Papers from former academics, such as Professors Colin Clark and Dorothy Hill provide insights into their respective areas of research and professional commitments through correspondence and unpublished papers. Former Vice-Chancellor Sir Fred Schonell’s papers also include meeting minutes, addresses, broadcasts and subject files.

The architectural history of the university is also found in The University of Queensland site plans collection, which features over 80 plans and drawings, including plans by Hennessy & Hennessy Co., F.W. Robinson, R.W. Hawken, J.J.C. Bradfield and A. B. & R.M. Wilson.

Collections from active university groups, such as The University of Queensland Student Union, The University of Queensland Dramatic Society, and Semper Floreat also provide an historical account of student group activity on campus.

Collections that deal with the administrative history of the University are held in the University Archives. These include Senate minutes, Professorial and Academic Board minutes and significant University Committee minutes. Additionally, Archives holds historic photographs from the Office of Marketing and Communications and its predecessor agencies.


More of our UQ archives collection online


Alumni Reunion Banner. Banner for the First Alumni Reunion and Commemoration, 19-21 May 1967, above entrance to the J. D. Story Building.


UQ History. Film about the University of Queensland, 1955.

Faces of the fallen. 100 years on we remember the UQ staff and students who served in the First World War.


Priestley building. Priestley building at the St.Lucia campus, 1965.



Location & access

Many collections of interest are located at the Fryer Library. To view Fryer Library material, use the online form and plan your visit. Items in the Fryer Library may not be borrowed but are available for use in the Reading Room.

UQ Archives records can be accessed by appointment.  Please direct enquiries to the University Archivist, Mr Bruce Ibsen.